By “personal information”, we mean information that directly identifies you, such as your name, address, phone number or e-mail address. In this Policy, “we”, “us” and “our” refer to Bonsai and “you” means any person who visits our Marketplace, calls us on the phone, or e-mails or chats with us.
What Categories of Information We Collect
We collect a variety of types of information. Examples include:
- Identifiers and contact information, such as your name, address, phone number or e-mail address;
- Purchase or other commercial information, such as the items you purchase, items you have altered or custom made (including measurements), shipping address, and contact information (such as for receipts or order updates);
- Payment information, such as your payment method and payment information (such as debit or credit card number and information), and billing address;
- Preference information such as your contact and marketing preference, and brand and merchandise interests;
- Communications and interactions, which may include e-mail messages, chat sessions, text messages, and phone calls that we exchange with you;
- Demographic information, which may include ZIP code and other information about you;
- Call recordings, including information about your call and that you share when you call us on the phone;
- Location or geolocation information of your device that you use with mobile applications if your device settings allow us to collect location information;
- Device and browsing information and other Internet activity information, including information about your phone, tablet, computer, or device, and online browsing activity (collectively, “automatically collected information”). Automatically collected information may include IP addresses, unique device identifiers, cookie identifies, device and browser settings and information, and Internet service provider information. Automatically collected information also may include information about when and how you access and use our Marketplace or mobile application, such as the date and time of your visit to us, the Publisher’s site you visit before coming and after leaving our Marketplace, how you navigate the Marketplace, and the items you purchase; and
- Inferences about any of the information above that may relate to your preferences or other matters.
How We Collect Information
We collect information through our Marketplace and during communications with you. For example, we collect and obtain information:
- You provide, such as when you make a purchase, interact with our customer service team, visit the Marketplace, participate in a contest or sweepstakes, engage in a promotional activity or respond to a survey;
- From third parties, such as analytics companies, advertising networks and cooperatives, demographic companies, third parties that provide us with information about you and the different devices you use online, and other third parties that we choose to collaborate or work with;
- From social media platforms, digital media publishers, and networks that you use in connection with our Marketplace. For more information about social media platforms, digital media publishers, or network privacy practices, please review the privacy policies and settings of the social media platforms, digital media publishers and networks that you use;
- Using cookies and automatic collection methods. For example, we and third parties we work with may collect information from the computer, tablet, phone, or other device that you use to access the Marketplace, or that you use to open an e-mail or click on an advertisement from us. This collection includes automatically collected information, and generally does not include personal information unless you provide it or choose to share it with us. Methods we use include:
- Cookies (which may be session-based or persistent, and are typically small data files that are stored on your hard drive or in connection with your Internet browser);
- Web beacons or tags (small images embedded into sites or e-mails that send information about your computer, tablet, phone or other device when you visit our Marketplace, or open an e-mail we send to you);
- Flash cookies
- Other technologies (which may be similar to or different than the methods noted above).
How We Use Information
We use the information that we collect to conduct our business and to provide you with the best possible products, Marketplace, and experiences. We also may combine any or all of the information that we collect or obtain. Examples of how we use information include:
- To provide you with merchandise, such as to: fulfill your orders and process your payments; to provide customer service, and to provide you with products that we think you will like;
- To respond to you, such as when you: place an order, call us, make a request or inquiry; enter a contest or sweepstakes, complete a survey; or share a comment or concern;
- For personalization of your experiences with us, the publishers and the merchants, including to remember your interests and preferences, and customize products we share with you;
- For marketing and advertising, such as to: send you marketing and advertising communications; and to customize the marketing and advertising that we show you.
- For analytics, such as to: understand how you use the Marketplace, understand how you shop with us, improve our Marketplace;
- For legal and safety purposes, such as to: defend or protect us, our customers, or third parties, from harm or in legal proceedings; protect our rights; protect our security and the security of our customers, and employees; respond to court orders, lawsuits, subpoenas, and government requests; address legal and regulatory compliance; and notify you of product recalls or safety issues.
How We Share Information
We share personal information with:
- Our affiliates
- Third parties and service providers that provide products or Marketplace to us, that help us market or advertise to you or that deliver merchandise, customer support, or Marketplace to you. For example, we share personal information with the Publisher in whose content or website you discovered the Marketplace so that they may provide you with advertising or marketing information, and we share personal information with the Merchants who provide the merchandise that you purchase, who fulfill the delivery of the merchandise, who provide the customer service to support the purchase and any return, and who may provide you with advertising or marketing information. We may use third parties or service providers to help with auditing interactions and transactions with you, addressing security, fixing errors, helping us with advertising or marketing, assisting with the processing of orders, providing customer service, calculating indirect tax, helping with our internal research, verifying service quality or safety, and performing any of the other actions or activities allowed under this Policy.
- Parties to business transactions such as those we deal with in mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, sales of assets, reorganizations, divestitures, dissolutions, bankruptcies, liquidations, or other types of business transactions. In these types of transactions, personal information may be shared, sold, or transferred, and it may be used subsequently by a third party; and
- Additional third parties such as law enforcement, government entities, courts, or other third parties as required or allowed by applicable law, such as for the legal and safety purposes described under the “how We Use Information” section above, or otherwise to help prevent harm or fraud to us, you, our customers, or other third parties. We also may share personal information with third parties upon your request or with your approval, though we may not be able to accommodate all requests.
Online Advertising and Third Parties We Work With
We may work with third-party companies for advertising purposes. The personal information that these companies collect or that we share may be used to customize or personalize the advertisements that are displayed to you.
For information about the choices you have about the online advertising practices described in this section, please see the "Your Choices and Access Requests" section below.
Your Choices and Access Requests
Your choices about how personal information is used and shared include:
- Online Advertising. You can manage third-party advertising preferences for some of the third parties we work with to serve advertising across the Internet by using the choices available at http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and www.aboutads.info/choices. We do not guarantee that all of the third parties we work with will honor the elections you make using those options, but we strive to work with third parties that do.
- Social Media Platforms and Networks. We encourage you to review your privacy options and settings with the social media platforms and networks you use to understand what choices you have about sharing information from those platforms and networks with us. Some examples include:
- FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads,
- GOOGLE - https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous, https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en. (You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.); and
- BING - https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these Marketplace by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
- Telephone Choices (calls and texts). You may opt out of receiving marketing or advertising calls or text messages by contacting us through one of the methods specified in the "Additional Information and Contacting Us" section below and sharing the phone number that you would like to opt out. For text messages, you also may be able to text "STOP" in response to a text message that you receive.
- Mobile Location Choices. You may choose not to provide your location to us in connection with your use of our mobile application by declining any prompt requesting location information, and by customizing your mobile device settings to prevent sharing of location information.
- Access Requests. Unless alternate procedures are noted for your state in the "Notices, Disclosures, and State-Specific Rights" section below, you may also make a request for access to personal information by sending an e-mail or writing to us at the address specified in the "Additional Information and Contacting Us" section below. We are not able to grant all access requests, and we may request additional information from you in order to verify your identity before accommodating an access request.
Security and Fraud
We take steps to help protect the confidentiality and security of personal information you share with us. In general, information transmitted through the Internet may not be perfectly secure, and we are unable to guarantee the security of your personal information.
We encourage you to take steps to help protect the confidentiality and security of the information that you share with us by installing the latest security updates and anti-virus software on your computer to help prevent malware and viruses; and password protecting your computer and mobile device.
If you become aware of any potentially fraudulent activity on a website or in an e-mail or text that appears to come from Bonsai, please forward the information to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can follow up.
Notices, Disclosures, and US State-Specific Rights
- Links to Other Websites and Marketplace. We may provide links to other Internet sites, content or videos (embedded or direct links) maintained by third parties. We are not responsible for the sites, content, or videos accessed via the links, and we have not reviewed the privacy practices of those third parties. We encourage you to review the privacy practices of those third parties.
- Browsers Do Not Track Signals. While we strive to offer you choices when you use our Marketplace, we do not promise that we will be able to receive or honor web browser Do Not Track signals.
- California Privacy Rights. California law entitles residents to ask us for a notice describing what categories of personal information we share with third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. Unless you request us to or consent to us doing so, Bonsai does not sell any personal information to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes. If you have questions about these practices, please contact us at email@example.com. California law also provides residents with rights to request access to and deletion of certain personal information, to know whether personal information is shared, and to opt out of the "sale" of personal information. Some California laws also may define "personal information" differently from this Policy. To understand how we honor these California rights, to make requests regarding these rights, and to learn more about how California law defines "personal information," please visit Your California Privacy Rights.
- Children's Privacy. Bonsai does not knowingly request or collect personal information from any person under 13 years of age without prior verifiable parental consent. If you believe that your child under the age of 13 has submitted personal information to Bonsai in connection with our Marketplace, and without prior verifiable parental consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can take steps to delete the personal information that they provided.
- Your personal information will be transferred to and processed in Canada and any other country or jurisdiction at our sole discretion. The laws that apply to the use and protection of personal information in Canada or other countries or jurisdictions in which we transfer or process personal information may be different than the laws and protections in the United States.
If you have questions about this Policy or our privacy practices, please contact us at:
202-111 George St.
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Updates to This Policy
We may make changes to this Policy, and may apply any changes to information previously collected, as permitted by law. When we make material changes to this Policy, we will notify you by posting the updated Policy on our website, and we will update the effective date at the end of this Policy.
This Policy is effective May 15, 2021.
Your California Privacy Rights
California law defines "personal information" broadly as information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular individual or household. This Notice also uses that definition for personal information.
California law provides you the right to request:
- Access. Request access to the specific pieces of personal information collected about you
- Deletion. Request deletion of your personal information
- Disclosure. Request disclosure of the categories of personal information we collect, the purposes for which we collect, sell or disclose that information, and the categories of third parties with whom we share the information
- Opt Out. Opt out of the "sale" of your personal information
Categories of Personal Information We Collect
Purposes for Which We Use Personal Information
In addition, we may offer certain discounts or rewards, or other promotions we may offer from time to time in exchange for our use of your personal information that you provide. Where we offer discounts or rewards in this manner, we will obtain your consent to our use of your personal information for this purpose.
Categories of Personal Information We Have Disclosed for a Business Purpose
Categories of Personal Information We Have "Sold"
- Device and browsing information and other Internet activity information
- Purchase or other commercial information
- Demographic information
- Identifiers and contact information
Submitting a Request
To exercise your California privacy rights, please submit a request to email@example.com.
The request should include: your country of residence, your first and last name, your e-mail address, your telephone number, and your full address. Also, please provide the purpose of the request which may include the following:
- request to access the specific pieces of personal information about you that we have collected in the preceding 12 months;
- request for the deletion of the personal information that we have collected from you (note that we may retain personal information as required or permitted by law, and we will maintain a copy of your deletion request);
- request for disclosure of the categories of personal information we collect, the purposes for which we collect, sell or disclose that information, and the categories of third parties to whom we disclose information; or
Once we receive your request, we will validate the information that you provide and send a message to the e-mail address you provide in the request, asking you to verify that it is your e-mail address. Please follow the instructions in that e-mail to verify your e-mail address. We will begin processing your request once you verify your e-mail address.
Right to Non-Discrimination
We do not discriminate against you for requesting any of the rights noted above.
Requests from Authorized Agents
If you would like an authorized agent to submit a request on your behalf, please send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions and details on proof required for use of an authorized agent.
Contact for More Information
Updates to This Notice
We may make changes to this Notice, and may apply any changes to information previously collected, as permitted by law. When we make material changes to this Notice, we will notify you by posting the updated Notice on our website, and we will update the effective date at the end of this Notice.
This Notice is effective May 15, 2021.